OK, so you’re definitely moving… now you’ve got get everything organised.
There’s so much to do, it’s very easy to rush things, but don’t be tempted to rush choosing your removals company, because if it all goes wrong it can go very wrong.
Of course, you shouldn’t just go with the first removals company you find on Google (or in the Yellow Pages, or anywhere else for that matter). Check out three companies as a minimum, call them and get a quote. Once you’ve done this don’t just go for the lowest, there are a few other things you should check before signing on the dotted line.
Here’s what we suggest you ask your chosen removals company before getting them to do the job…
- Is this based on a flat rate for the work, or do you charge an hourly rate?
- Is anything not included in this quote?
- If there are additional costs, what are they?
- How long do you think the removal job will take?
- Can you store our furniture and other things if there’s any delay (and how much will this cost)?
- Does your contract (make sure they do give a written contract) detail what is included?
- Does your contract show the right pickup and delivery dates and addresses of both where we are moving from and to?
- Do you provide a complete inventory of all items to be moved?
Also be wary of quotes over the phone – most removalists should be able to visit you at home and, once they have seen what is involved, be able to give you a quote there and then. The home visit will also give you a chance to meet them and ask any more specific questions you may have.
Tick all these boxes and your boxes (and furniture) should arrive safe and sound at your new place!